Thursday, April 10, 2008

Texas Trail Ride




After a great Easter Sunday service, I got on a plane late that afternoon and flew to Dallas, TX where I met up with Tom and Tim Foster, my bros.-in-law, for five days of trail riding. We left early Monday morning to Caprock Canyon State Park. It was great to go through country side of Texas. I got to go through the great cities of Turkey and Quitaque (pronounced "kitty-kway") that were so quaint with their old style downtown areas and rich in history. We got there in the afternoon and had time to take about a four hour trail ride into the canyon. The scenery was incredible. The riding was exceptional, especially for this city boy. We got back that first day and grilled some venison Tom had brought for the trip. It was delicious. The next two days we rode there in Caprock and then on Wednesday drove over to Palo Duro Canyon right outside of Amarillo.

Palo Duro Canyon is twenty miles wide, a hundred and twenty miles long and eight hundred feet deep. It is the second largest canyon in North American right after the Grand Canyon. It has some of the most incredible rock formations. Some of the most popular are the "Lighthouse" and "Castle" rock formations which you can see in the slideshow. It was about a 13 mile round trip from our camp to the "lighthouse." Then on Friday, we rode in another part of the canyon that was a real treat before we headed back to Dallas.

Thank you Tom & Tim for all your preparation and work in putting this together and for letting me join you guys on a great trip! It was a blast!

8 comments:

Gayla said...

That looks like so much FUN! I would love to do something like that sometime...but I don't know how easy it would be to do in a skirt!! LOL Guarantee you I could do it, though!! Beautiful pictures.

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Beautiful pictures of our beautiful state.

Linda Elms said...

What a wonderful trip! Palo Duro Canyon is a beautiful place and we love going to see the "Texas Drama"! I'm glad you enjoyed your Texas experience. :) Also, I wanted to tell Debbie that I'm so happy she has been having a wonderful time visiting family and friends. There's nothing like it! Love ya'll!

iluv2prshim said...

Looks like you three had a super time. That is such a beautiful part of Texas.
Glad you and Debbie are home safe and sound from your various trips. :)

Jana Allard said...

Beautiful landscape and what great brother-in-laws!

Steven Saiz said...

Gayla - I am sure you would enjoy it!

Bro. & Sis. Guidroz - It is a beautiful place.

Sis. Elms - We drove through your great city. I've heard the drama is incredible. Palo Duro is a place I would enjoy returning to every year.

Rhonda - We did have a great time. We are glad to be home too.

Jana - They are good guys....smile.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Beautiful pictures, it looks immense!
My youngest son and his wife just showed me pictures they took of the Grand Canyon and I was amazed. Never been there, I need too.

Steven Saiz said...

Sis. Catherine - Go....it will be a great adventure. It's amazing.