Saturday, December 8, 2007

Singing In The Rain!



Being raised in the south where it rains often, I never thought that I would miss the rain, but I do! After living here in southern California for just a few months and no rain, I was talking to my Mom on the phone while it was pouring there. She went outside, raised one of the garage doors, and held the phone for me to hear the heavy downpour!! That is something that I used to take for granted, but now I love a good rainy day or night like today! It may go for months here with no rain. But right now, I'm sitting here hearing the rain and loving it!! There is something about hearing the rain splash on the window! I know to all of you who live where it rains often that this sounds so funny! A little while ago, I went to our front bay window and took the pictures above. I even went outside in the front just to watch it rain! This is the rainy season for us, but nights like tonight are few and far between. I will enjoy sleeping tonight hearing the rain! Back in September it rained very hard, the first rain in over 4 months! Our dog Bauer who is almost 3 years old did not know what to think of that kind of hard rain. He had never seen it! While home in West Monroe back in the summer, I found myself up in the middle of the night looking out the back of my parent's home watching the hard rain hit the pool and the pasture behind it. Before I moved here, that would have been just another rainy night! I never thought I would say this but I love the rain!!!! What does the song say. . . ."Singing in the rain!!!

11 comments:

Gene Holley said...

Glad you are getting to enjoy one of the pleasures of life! There is nothing like what Texans call a "gully-washer" or a "FROG STRANGLER!" I also like the smell that comes just before a rain...it is so clean! You probably don't get the lightning and thunder that goes along with here, huh? It can really shake the walls here.

iluv2prshim said...

Debbie, I know exactly how you feel. Someone asked me one time what I missed about the south and I said, "a good ole thunder storm". You know the kind that shakes things up a little. hee hee. I do enjoy this "rainy" season here in California because when it's over, it's over. Not another drop until next year. Funny how you miss certain things like rain. Who would've ever thought it?

Karla said...

I have not lived without rain - but I don't think I'd want to. I LOVE a good rainstorm! I'm glad you got a night of rain - I hope it rained while you slept - that's just the BEST!!!

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

I miss the rain all the time. There is nothing like a good thunderstorm. We have 6 foot rain storms here in NoCal. A rain drop here and another one there, 6 feet away.

Krista said...

I love it when it rains too! Just not when its 20 degrees outside! lol That is the perfect sleeping weather!!! :)

Linda Elms said...

You are a TRUE SOUTHERN GIRL! I LOVE the rain, also. The thunder crashing and the lightening flashing across the big sky of Texas is one of the "wonders" I enjoy! Enjoy the rain!!

Debbie Saiz said...

Gene - No we don't get the lightening and thunder that often. I was in the grocery store late one evening and it started thundering and lightening - all the employees including the manager ran outside to see it!
Karla- it was great!!
Ronda - It is true that when the rain is over, it's over! Sunday morning, you never knew it rained at all!
Than - I love the 6ft. rain storms!! It really is true. They will say it is really raining and it is just a drizzle! I love your humor!!
Krista - Those days when it rains and then turns into an ice storm! I loved it when I was in school - because it meant there was going to be no school!!
Linda- I do enjoy when I'm anywhere in the south and there comes a deep thunder followed by lightening cracking across the sky! You can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl!!

Krista said...

Yeah, Snow days were awesome when we were younger! We have an awesome hill in our back yard thats amazing to go sledding on! lol I like your comment when you said You can take the girl out of the south, but not that south out of the girl! lol That is SO true!! :) I love my southern roots!!

Jana Allard said...

I, too, love the rain. There has been so much drought, I think we all need to pray for rain. Hey, there is another song about rain, "It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya....." LOL

Debbie Saiz said...

Krista - Love those southern roots! As soon as I open my mouth they know I'm from the south!!
Jana - I sing that song a lot because it is so true!

Anonymous said...

I love the rain! I just wish I could catch it. Everywhere I go, its seems to have just left...:). Wish I could've been with you the night you took those pics.

Love, Vanessa