Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Southern Girl's Take On The Earthquake

I was standing in Steve's office at the time that it happened. . . .all of a sudden, everything was shaking. . . .the ground under me. . . .the 2 huge windows right to my right were shaking. . .the blinds were really shaking. . . . here I am standing there with everything shaking. . . .it hit me. . . ."We are in an earthquake!" Then it was over. . . I was a little freaked out. I hurried outside and there was no one coming out of the other offices in the area! I was amazed. . .this was no big deal to these people! But me . . . . the girl from northeast Louisiana who has been out here for right at 4 years. . . .THIS WAS BIG!!!!! After several attempts, I finally got through on the phone to Steve. He wanted to make sure I was ok. I was. . . . .just amazed that to everyone else this was really no big deal!! I went to the tailor that we use, she and another lady in there were real nonchalant about it. I came home and my mailman asked me if I felt it, he said that he felt it on the sidewalk, but no big deal! The Fed-Ex lady that delivered a package did ask me if I felt it, but it was no big deal to her either. I'm not sure if it will ever become just another happening for me. . . . .believe me. . . .when it is happening. . . .when everything around you, over you, beside you, and UNDER you are SHAKING. . . .it is a BIG DEAL!!!! Our weather here has been in the 70's. . . .really nice and when I called my sis-in-law Gayla in Dallas to tell her about the earthquake, she said, "I'll take our 105 degree weather!" Well. . . .I was raised in that hot humid southern weather, and I must say that I do love living in the southbay area of of Los Angeles where we are surrounded by water on 3 sides! Yes, I have gotten very adjusted to this incredible weather!! But one thing for sure, I don't think that I will ever get adjusted to earthquakes! That is a chance that I have to take being where God has me and believe me. . . .I love life here where He has me!!

8 comments:

Krista said...

Girl, I don't think I could ever get used to that either. Sounds scary! But then again, we have tornados, not sure which one is worse! haha Glad yall are okay!!

Tracie Smith said...

Girl friend, I was feeling shaking in my 'boots' just reading your description of the quake! lol Today in Houston we enjoyed a very mild 96 degree day! ha

Gayla said...

I didn't feel this one at all. Usually, we feel them up here when they hit in the L.A. area. I would rather be in a "small" earthquake than in a tornado or hurricane, any day!! Even the lightening storms in Louisiana send me running for the covers over my head. I don't like that kind of lightening.... No thank YOU!! :-) Glad you're ok...

See you at Camp Meeting next week???

Mark Pryor said...

haha, know what you mean. I was in the Apple store and software boxes started falling off shelves. Crazy. But I also remember waking to our house flooding because of hurricane when we lived in Houston. So I guess every area has things to dislike. :-)

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I'm with you girl. This southern girl was in one in the Phillipines on the 10th story of a hotel. I will take the hurricanes anyday...LOL

Karen J. Hopper said...

Being a native Californian, I'll take the earthquake any day over a tornado or hurricane - and I've shaked, rattled and rolled at lot in my 68 years. Guess one's feeling on the subject depends on where you were raised.

Anonymous said...

Debbie!!!! This is the California girl now living in the SOUTH who is laughing at your welcome into the 'earthquake' world. Honey..you'll get used to them. I can remember MANY earthquakes in my Cali days and you just run to the door jam - and then watch everything fall off the walls and the floor start buckling beneath you. It's a real blast!! Sandi

Windows In My Soul said...

Hey ... glad to see all is well. I stopped dead in my tracks at work when they were covering the quake on the news. I immediately thought of all my Cali friends - You included! Just stopped by Gayla's blog to check her out as well - she seems 'aight. I remember once feeling the very subtle shaking of a very RARE earthquake that hit Illinois and we felt a little tremor in Indianapolis. Even that was weird, I can't imagine being right there with it all.

P.s. Definitely have a sister that just moved to Cali and another tossing around the idea of living w/ her boyfriend out there... Does Jennifer smell a trip to Cali in her future?? woohoo!