Monday, August 11, 2008

THE MEMORY CONTINUES

Today, August 11th would have been my nephew, Shiloh's 30th birthday! After talking to his Dad, my brother, Tim this evening, as well as some other members of our family, we all were reminising about Shiloh and our memories of him. Shiloh was taken suddenly on October 12, 1994 in a car accident at the age of 16. His sister Cheyenne was with him and was seriously hurt, but God allowed us to keep her. That night will forever be marked in the life of the Foster family. Shiloh and Cheyenne were on their way to church. In thinking of Shiloh's life, I will never forget the phone call that came one evening after a mission's conference in Stockton, when he told me at the age of 12 that he felt a call to preach. I remember the night at a youth congress the year before his death, that the preacher said that night that there were young men in that service who had never publicly acknowledged their call to preach and that God was bidding for them that evening. I watched Shiloh get up and walk to the front in dedication to God. He may have never preached a message like he dreamed, but his life has touched hundreds of young people as his story has been preached across the county by his uncles, cousins, his aunt, his granddad, and many friends.


At the Variety Youth Conference in West Monroe, LA. the July before his death, Shiloh gave his testimony of how he went from a Christian School of around 250 to a public high school of over 5000 students and how you can live for God. Part of his testimony is on his footstone of his grave as shown above. (click on picture to read) Shiloh, we miss you so much. We know that one day we will all be together again in heaven.


6 comments:

jeremyfoster.org said...

I miss him and think often of our friendship and all of the stupid awesome things we did together. The world was a better place because of his 16 years.

He was original.

I love you Shiloh, I'll never forget.

J

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a touching tribute of wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

Debbie & Steve, Thanks for the memories! I miss him a little every day, but especially at special days like this one. I actually had a dream of him last night riding a motorcycle after church. Family was so important to him; he loved being with everyone. I'll never forget the last saturday night we had together, after the trailride in Dallas with his Uncle Tom and cousin Jonathon, he told me, "Dad, I don't wear boots, jeans and hats everyday like you, but in my heart I"m a cowboy!" He got it!
God bless his memory,
Cowboy Up!
"Dadster" (as he called me)
Tim

iluv2prshim said...

Debbie, This was a very touching tribute to Shiloh. I had tears in my eyes as I read this. I never got to meet him but he sounds like a wonderful person. I know the feeling of missing someone so precious to you. Heaven will be such a wonderful place and we will never have to part with our loved ones again. :)

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

What a touching memorial to a handsome guy. Life is never the same and seperations like his from us reminds us that life is so fragile, but we have HOPE. Love you...

Anonymous said...

I love you bro! Rest easy.