Friday, November 23, 2007

After Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving! I love all the cooking, family getting together, the eating, and then what we are doing today. . .eating the leftovers!! We always spend Thanksgiving with Steve's family at our house. It is a fun time! Our first Thanksgiving married, Steve & I decided to start a tradition in our home for the Saiz family. We have cornbread dressing, green bean casseraole, sweet potato casserole, brocolli & rice casserole, turkey, pink stuff (my creation), rolls, & gravy along with pecan pie, cherry-o-creme cheese pie, pumpkin pie, & peanut butter bars! That first Thanksgiving, my Dad commented to my brothers, Mark & Tom during their Thanksgiving dinner in West Monroe, "Your Mom sure fixed a good meal in California today!" He was referring to all the phone calls that I made to Mom on that Wednesday and Thursday! I made a joke to her when I would call that I was calling 1-800-ASKMOM!!! I must say that the 800ASKMOM phone calls were not near as many this year, our 4th one married! Today we will enjoy the leftovers. Nana & Ampa, (Steve's parents) will most likely come by to eat some as well. This morning, I packed a leftover bag for Stevo to take to work for their Potluck at work. So he'll get his leftovers for lunch. This year, we missed Margaret, Joe, & Che (Steve's sister & family). The Apostolic General Convention was moved to Dallas from the L.A. area, so they were in Dallas. My brother Tim was supposed to come in, but his wife had doctor's orders to not travel because of her back. Steve & Stevo were disappointed because the three of them were going to ride horses in the hills on the pennisula of Palis Verdes, not too far from our house. Steve & Tim are already making plans for a later date to ride those trails that have an ocean view. Steve will go spend some time with his horse, Rocket this afternoon. As for me, I am hanging out here at the house getting some things done that I have needed to.

4 comments:

Karla said...

Sound like y'all had a great time! I remember calling that 800-ASKMOM hotline! LOL! I didn't know how to cook much of anything, so the phone was ringing often.

Glad y'all had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I got full all over again just reading this post. Sounds delicious! Those AskMom hotlines are incredible. I'm sure your mom enjoyed "fixing her dinner in California" too.

Debbie Saiz said...

Karla & Ronda-
When I was single, I didn't have to do much cooking. . .but I always helped Mom and enjoyed cooking. When I moved to Cally. . . I wanted a good ol' southern Thanksgiving. . .so I knew I had to do it! I really enjoy it and yes, so does my Mom !!
Great to hear from you, Karla!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie--

Sounds as though your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Leftovers? The best!

Love you